NARMADA PARIKRAMA is a very popular spiritual and adventurous journey in India, even foreigners from different countries come here to enjoy this tour.For a long time three kinds of parikrama are popular among saints, sages and NARMADA devotees :-
(1) MUNDAMAL PARIKRAMA — It is the most popular NARMADA PARIKRAMA among all till date. This PARIKRAMA may be started from any specific point at the bank of NARMADA on foot and come back to the same point after walking around both the side of the holy river like a chaplet.
(2) JALEHARI PARIKRAMA :- This NARMADA PARIKRAMA takes double time and hardship in comparison with mundamal parikrama. In this parikrama, parikramawasi starts from Amarkantak ( originating place of the holy river NARMADA) and walks up to Mithi Talai ( The river NARMADA merges here with Arabian sea) and come back to Amarkantak following by northern side of the river, then goes to the other side of the river and walks up to Kathpore and come back to Amarkantak.
(3) PANCHAKOSHI PARIKRAMA :- This NARMADA PARIKRAMA is very easy and takes only three to four days to complete it. In this NARMADA PARIKRAMA , prikramawasi should visit some religious places round Amarkantak on foot. The religious places to visit are NARMADA temple complex, Mai-ki-bagia, Sonemuda, Jaleswar Mahadev temple, Dhunipani, Bhrigu comomdulu, Kabir chabutra, Kapil dhara, Dugdha dhara, Sambhu dhara, Durga dhara, Baratinala and Pataleswar Mahadev temple. Another PANCHAKOSHI PARIKRAMA starts from Bandarbhan and ends at Hiranfal.Details regarding PANCHAKOSHI PARIKRAMA at Amarkantak is given in tour guide and the other from Bandarbhan to Hiranfal has been steated in Route guide.
(4) KHANDA PARIKRAMA :- This NARMADA PARIKRAMA is very popular among service holder,business men and family holders at present. Anybody can take part in this PARIKRAMA . No binding to complete the journey at a time. parikramawasi can start from any point at the bank of NARMADA for some days and may return to home after completion of a part of PARIKRAMA. after that he may start NARMADA PARIKRAMA from that point where he left PARIKRAMA last time.
(5) CAR PARIKRAMA :- NARMADA PARIKRAMA by car is the most popular journey at present. The popularity of this NARMADA PARIKRAMA is growing everyday.Some traveling agencies are conducting this tour from AMARKANTAK , OMKERESWAR, MAHESWAR , BHARUCH and other big cities situated nearby NARMADA. The total distance to cover is about 4000 K.M. and takes about 17 to 20 days to complete the journey. NARMADA PARIKRAMA by car covers only the main places of spiritual interest situated near road. Sufficient food and drinking water and emergency medicine must be preserved during journey.For route guide and other details see NARMADA PARIKRAMA by car.
(6) MARKANDEYA PARIKRAMA :-This kind of NARMADA PARIKRAMA is very tough and time taking, due to this cause nobody is interested to take part in this parikrama. n this NARMADA PARIKRAMA , parikramawasi can not cross not only the holy river NARMADA but also the other main rivers meet NARMADA enroute.
(7) DANDAWAT PARIKRAMA :- This NARMADA PARIKRAMA is the toughest journey and parikramawasi should cover the total distance by giving dandawat to NARMADA MATA . Very few devotee attempt to do this. ( Dandawat means salute to the mother NARMADA lying on road )
(8) HANUMANT PARIKRAMA :- This kind of NARMADA PARIKRAMA is popular among general tourist because there is no binding to cross the river by boat and parikramawasi can visit the places of spiritual interest according to their choice . Very few NARMADA devotee take part in this type of NARMADA PARIKRAMA . General tourists are interested in this tour.
NOTE :– To know about route of NARMADA PARIKRAMA on foot or by car, see Route Guide on Patikrama menu.A